During this very difficult time, so much of our attention is rightly focused on trying to stay well. As a result, we may not be as attuned to other aspects of our personal lives. However, identity theft remains a serious problem and while it may not be easy to detect, it is important to be looking for any of the following indications:
- Unknown credit accounts have shown up on your credit report.
- You have been receiving mail or pre-approved credit offers with someone else’s name at your home or office.
- Companies that you have not done business with or applied to for credit have been looking at your credit report.
- Debt collectors have started sending you collection notices for accounts you do not have.
- Your credit report lists an alias name or address that you have never used.
- You have received bills, statements, or other account information in the mail relating to accounts you didn’t open.