Debt collectors may violate the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, a federal law, if they engage in any of the following actions:
- Threaten legal action that cannot be legally taken;
- Lie about the amount of money owed;
- Use curse words;
- Threaten arrest if not paid;
- Publish the individual’s personal information on “bad debt” lists;
- Use postcards to reach out to the consumer.
If a collection agency has done any of these thing to you, you may be awarded damages by the Court.
Call Pine Street Legal at (215) 345-9214 to discuss your next steps if a debt collector if being abusive towards you.