As of 2018, new protections for service members & veterans were signed into law. Highlights are:
- Free security freezes and one year fraud alerts at the 3 credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, Trans Union);
- Holding lenders to more stringent requirements when they participate in VA’s refinance programs;
- Ensuring continued foreclosure protections for servicemembers up to one year after they leave active duty;
- Prohibiting medical debt that should have been paid by the VA to be reported as part of a veteran’s credit history;
- Providing free credit monitoring for active duty military, including the national guard.